Thanks from the Java Developer

Ant antroy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 17:30:13 EDT 2006

Python ruined my life.

I am a Java programmer by profession, and ever since learning Python, I
find it a real chore to open Eclipse and write Java code (or worse -
the XML config files that seem to glue J2EE together). And while I
spend some of my spare time liberated by Python, I spend 10 times as
much time coding in Java at work.

While this is just a little tongue in cheek, I do very frequently find
myself thinking "Why is this so hard?" when doing something that would
be trivial in Python. One of my favorites:

f = open("file.txt")
s = f.read()
f.close()

StringBuffer b = new StringBuffer();
try {
    BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new FileReader("file.txt"));
    String line = br.readLine();

    while (line != null){
        b.append(line);
        line = br.readLine();