Python editing with emacs/wordstar key bindings.

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Apr 12 18:41:41 EDT 2006

"Thomas Bartkus" <thomasbartkus at comcast.net> writes:
[...]
>    1) When I load a .py file, emacs automatically overrides my wordstar-mode
> with python-mode, forcing all the keybindings back to emacs native keys.
> Why?
>
> Why should a python-mode care what key bindings are in use?

No idea.  Quite odd.

>    2) We get <tab> for block indentation instead of the spaces I prefer.

That's odd, I get four spaces unless I'm editing an existing file that
already uses some other convention, in which case python-mode is
usuall smart enough to figure that out.  I don't use wordstar-mode.

> Is there a better python-mode script I should be using other than the
> default that came with emacs?

I assume you're using X/Emacs, then, rather than GNU Emacs?

IIRC, there's a separate sourceforge project for python-mode now, so
you could give that version a try.

John