Python 2.5 licensing: stop this change

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 03:37:26 EST 2006

Steve Holden wrote:
> As the only director of the Python Software Foundation to vote against a
> recent Board motion to implement the change in licensing terms described in
>
>    http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2006/04/python-25-licensing-change.html
>
> I would like to place on record my protest against this change. I think
> it will harm the Python language and ultimately be counter-productive,
> reducing the user base and discouraging open source programmers from
> contributing to the code base.
>
> If you disagree with this proposed change it's not too late to do
> something about it. If this change goes ahead it will be the end of
> Python as we know it.

Can I ask for clarification. The charge applies to any commercial use
of a derivative work based on the Python source code ?

Normal applications that use Python, including bunding the standard
CPython as an executable, using tools like py2exe, won't be covered.
Right ?

Does this cover commercial applications that embed the Python
interpreter ? (Looks like it will)

All the best,

Fuzzyman