Python 2.5 licensing: stop this change

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sat Apr 1 02:58:21 EST 2006

Steve Holden wrote:
> As the only director of the Python Software Foundation to vote against a
> recent Board motion to implement the change in licensing terms described in
>
>    http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2006/04/python-25-licensing-change.html
>
> I would like to place on record my protest against this change. I think
> it will harm the Python language and ultimately be counter-productive,
> reducing the user base and discouraging open source programmers from
> contributing to the code base.
>
> If you disagree with this proposed change it's not too late to do
> something about it. If this change goes ahead it will be the end of
> Python as we know it.
>
> regards
>   Steve
> --
> Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
> Holden Web LLC/Ltd                 www.holdenweb.com
> Love me, love my blog         holdenweb.blogspot.com

I'm +1 on the new license because I want to spend good money for good
products.

My own take is more close to Xah Lees: lets be ultimately responsible
and found an insurance for all kind of damages related to Python script
usages. Part of the money the PSF earns for insurance fees could be
donated to a charitable foundation that cares for indian children that
suffer from snake bites.