Iterating command switches from a data file - have a working solution but it seems inefficient

News arobert at townisp.com
Thu Apr 13 05:18:09 EDT 2006

bruno at modulix wrote:
> News wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> My goal is to pull command switches/options from a file and then assign
>> the values to select variables which would eventually be included in a
>> class object.
>>
>> The data file looks something like this but the switches could be in any
>> order and not all may be used.
>>
>> -m quemanager -s server -p port -k key -o object -c 20 -t test at email.com
>
> Have you looked at optparse ?

I have.

In the interactive version of the code, I use:

    #
    # Parse command line options and automatically build help/usage
    #
    parser = OptionParser()

    parser.add_option("-q", "--quiet",
                    action="store_false", dest="verbose", default=1,
                    help="don't print status messages to stdout")
    parser.add_option("-m", dest="qmanager",
                    help="Queue Manager to inquire against")
    parser.add_option("-s", dest="host",
                    help="Host the que manager resides on")
    parser.add_option("-p", dest="port",
                    help="Port queue manager listens on"),
    parser.add_option("-o", dest="object",
                    help="Queue object being inquired on"),
    parser.add_option("-k", dest="key",
                    help="object attribute to be inquired about"),
    parser.add_option("-t", type="string",dest="mto",
                    help="e-mail address the report will go to"),
    parser.add_option("-d", action="store_false",dest="report",
                    help="optional switch - enabling this sends output
to e-mail")
    (options, args) = parser.parse_args()

The module optparse seemed to be aimed at reading from commandline
versus pulling attributes from a read line.