multiline comments

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Apr 19 02:02:18 EDT 2006

"Atanas Banov" <enterr at gmail.com> writes:

> Edward Elliott wrote:
> > Saying coders shouldn't use multiline comments to disable code
> > misses the point.  Coders will comment out code regardless of the
> > existence of multiline comemnts.  There has to be a better
> > argument for leaving them out.
>
> i beg to differ: you'd be surprised how much effect can little
> inconveniences have.
>
> want to comment block of code? use tripple-quotes. does not nest?
> ahhh, maybe it's time to get rid of that block you commented out a
> month ago "just in case the new code doesnt work".

Indeed. Using revision control means never needing to comment out
blocks of code.

If your revision control system is so inconvenient to use that you'd
rather have large blocks of commented-out code, it's time to start
using a better RCS -- perhaps a distributed one, so you can commit to
your own local repository with abandon while trying out changes.

--
 \        "I saw a sign: 'Rest Area 25 Miles'. That's pretty big. Some |
  `\                   people must be really tired."  -- Steven Wright |