Python-list Digest, Vol 31, Issue 94

Gary Robinson grobinson at goombah.com
Sat Apr 8 13:17:20 EDT 2006

> I can't see anything
>> called a T2100. I have 3 X2100 servers which are opterons.

Right I meant X2100's, sorry.

> Python cannot use psyco on opterons at all -
> 32 bit mode or otherwise.

Are you sure? I'm not saying I have reason to believe differently, but
I just want to be sure.

The Psyco docs say it requires "A 32-bit Pentium or any other Intel 386
compatible processor. Sorry, no other processor is supported. Psyco
does not support the 64-bit x86 architecture, unless you have a Python
compiled in 32-bit compatibility mode".

Sun's "The Solaris Operating System on x86 Platforms" guide says "The
AMD64 (64bit x86)
architecture was done in a way very similar to how Intel had done the
i80386, and
processors based on AMD64 (much unlike Itanium/IA64) are, in good old
x86 tradition,
fully binary backward compatible. Of course, actually using the new
64bit operating
mode requires porting operating system and applications (like using
32bit on the
i80386 did require at the time). But even when running a 64bit
operating system does
AMD64 provide a sandboxed 32bit environment to run existing
applications in (again,
like the i80386 which allowed the same for 16bit programs running on a
32bit OS).
Therefore the AMD64 architecture offers much better investment
protection than IA64
– which will not run existing 32bit operating systems or applications.
"

As I read it, this says that when the Opteron is used in "the new 64bit
operating mode," as it is on the X2100, it is no longer Intel 386
compatible except in a "sandboxed 32bit environment". Then the question
would be whether 32-bit python can be run in the sandboxed 32bit
environment. Since I don't have an X2100 yet and haven't played with it
or studied the docs yet, I don't know what it entails.

Have you explored that?

> The T2000 has a new
> cpu for which I have no data about python performance.

The  T2000 has up to 8 relatively slow cores. Python's GIL (and the way
the app is designed) eliminate the possibility of making use of more
than one core for now. In the future that may change, but I need an
immediate solution and re-architecting is not possible right now.

> If you can benchmark your own code on a target machine, on solaris,
> linux or windows, you can quickly figure out if it's "fast enough".

The more speed I have, the better output I'll be able to get. This
application is a case where there is no "fast enough". The more speed,
the better, within financial constraints.

Gary

--

Gary Robinson
VP/Innovation