Programming Tutorial for absolute beginners

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sat Apr 8 13:41:13 EDT 2006

Clodoaldo Pinto a écrit :
> bill pursell wrote:

(snip)
>>2) In the section on installing, you begin with:
>>"Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming
>>language.".  The complete novice sees those words and expects
>>them to be explained, but there is no definition given.  I would
>>recommend simplifying that sentence, or explaining the terms.
>
> Ok, i will think about something, or just delete it.

FWIW, being "interpreted" is not a feature of a language but of a given
implementation of a language - and actually, the reference
implementation (CPython) is byte-compiled, not interpreted. As for
interactivity, it comes from a program (the Python shell) that ships
with the reference implementation - not from the laguage itself.

This leaves us with "Python is an object-oriented programming language",
which is not 100% accurate since Python - even if strongly OO - also
supports the procedural and functional paradigms !-)