Parsing XML/XSLT

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Apr 23 14:31:58 EDT 2006

veracon wrote:

> I'm looking to use XML and XSLT for templates in a system I'm writing,
> however I'm not really sure which parser is the "best". Basically,
> which library has the most features, and which is the most supported?

I use (my own) libxml2dom [1] and XSLTools [2] to respectively parse
XML documents and perform XSL transformations on those documents, both
solutions employing the widely deployed libxml2 [3] and libxslt [4]
libraries. Alternatively, lxml [5] provides parsing and transformation
APIs based on the same underlying technologies.

> A guide I saw mentioned importing xml.xslt, however it appears the xml
> module/package contains pretty much nothing - xml.xslt outputs an
> exception, No module named xslt.

You could inquire on the XML-SIG mailing list [6] about the status of
XSLT in PyXML or in 4Suite, one or both of which being the origin of
the xml.xslt package.

Paul

[1] http://www.python.org/pypi/libxml2dom
[2] http://www.python.org/pypi/XSLTools