About classes and OOP in Python

bruno at modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Wed Apr 12 04:52:06 EDT 2006

Casey Hawthorne wrote:
>>I think it's important not to wrongly confuse 'OOP' with ''data hiding'
>>or any other aspect you may be familiar with from Java or C++. The
>>primary concept behind OOP is not buzzwords such as abstraction,
>>encapsulation, polymorphism, etc etc, but the fact that your program
>>consists of objects maintaining their own state, working together to
>>produce the required results, as opposed to the procedural method where
>>the program consists of functions that operate on a separate data set.
>

> Isn't "inheritance" an important buzzword for OOP?

Which kind of inheritance ? subtyping or implementation inheritance ?-)

FWIW, subtyping is implicit in dynamically typed languages, so they
don't need support for such a mechanism. And implementation inheritance
is not much more than a special case of composition/delegation, so it's
almost useless in a language that have a good support for delegation
(which we have in Python, thanks to __getattr__/__setattr__).

--
bruno desthuilliers