Registration Code

Dave Mandelin mandelin at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 3 16:31:13 EDT 2006

Ken Seehart wrote:
> Math wrote:
> > Hello,
> I encypted the bytecode of a few important functions with a key based on
> information required from the user.  Without the key, these functions
> can't be decrypted.  This is somewhat more secure than just testing the
> key with an "if" statement since the latter could easily be bypassed by
> a hacker.

That's a really good idea. I have a couple more questions, if you don't
mind: I am going to distribute an app using py2exe. Is it reasonably
easy to apply this technique to bytecode stored inside the library.zip
file, or should I just include the encrypted Python files as separate
files?

Second, I hear that in general it is very difficult to make a
time-limited demo, because the code has to be all there, so all a
cracker has to do is bypass the "if". It seems that even this method
won't work for that. Do you know of any way to make time limiting
secure?

Thanks.

--
Want to play tabletop RPGs online?