what has python added to programming languages? (lets be esoteric, shall we ; )

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 09:07:46 EDT 2006

Wildemar Wildenburger wrote:
> Over the time I've seen lots of remarks about python that read like "a
> lot like lists in lisp" or "like the hashtable in java" or any other
> form of "like <feature> in <language>".
>
> Are there any concepts that python has not borrowed, concepts that were
> not even inspired by other languages? I'm just interested if it is
> "merely" a best-of collection of language features or if there are
> actually inventions that have not - or hardly - existed in programming
> before python?
>
> wildemar

1. One of the strenght of Python is that it does not try to be
particularly original, most of
the times it just borrows the good features from other languages
without borrowing the
warts.

2. If you ask in a Lisp newsgroup, they will tell you that they
invented everything that it is
cool now (in any language) over 40  years ago. They are also mostly
right ;)

  Michele Simionato