Parser suggestion

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Thu Sep 29 19:41:56 EDT 2005

François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> [Jorge Godoy]
>
> > > SPARK (Scanning Parsing And Rewriting Kit)
> > >   http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~aycock/spark/
>
> > It looks like it stopped being developed circa 2002...  From 2002 to
> > now Python had a lot of improvements and I'd rather use a maintained
> > tool for this project.  At least one that keeps up with Python's
> > development...
>
> While this way of thinking is in the fashion, and often happens to be
> right, it does not really apply in the SPARK case.
>
> SPARK works fine and well, and is probably the most elegant and pythonic
> of the series.  If it it does not really need to be further developed,
> and does not have much to gain from recent Python releases, I do not see
> why it should be released once in a while merely to entertain the crowd.

I don't consider it entertainment.  Just code maintenance.

How can I be sure that if I find a bug I'll be able to discuss it with the
developer if it's 3 years since the last release of his code?

You're someone I admire and with whom I've worked before -- with documentation
--, so I consider your opinion a lot and will give SPARK a look based on your
recommendation.

But, I still think that 3 years without any new implementation, design change
or maintenance release is a huge ammount of time; specially in our area where
technology evolves really fast and new concepts are always popping up.

Thanks a lot for your opinion and for trying to open my eyes, François.

--
Jorge Godoy      <godoy at ieee.org>