Parser suggestion

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Thu Sep 29 17:12:37 EDT 2005

"Michael J. Fromberger" <Michael.J.Fromberger at Clothing.Dartmouth.EDU> writes:

> There seems to be a great diversity of parsing tools available for
> Python programmers.  Here are a few suggestions to get you started:

>From Google I found almost all of those.  But do you have any suggestion on
which one would be better to parse Fortran code?  Or more productive to use
for this task?

> PLY (Python Lex/Yacc)
>   http://www.dabeaz.com/ply/

This is new to me :-)

> PyParsing
>   http://pyparsing.sourceforge.net/

>From what I was seeing, this seems to be a good one to try...

> SPARK (Scanning Parsing And Rewriting Kit)
>   http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~aycock/spark/

It looks like it stopped being developed circa 2002...  From 2002 to now
Python had a lot of improvements and I'd rather use a maintained tool for this
project.  At least one that keeps up with Python's development...

> You might also find the following an interesting read, if this sort of
> thing interests you:
>   http://www.python.org/sigs/parser-sig/towards-standard.html

I will.  But this is basically for "one project only".  Other structures are
usually simpler than a programming language and can be retrieved with
different approaches.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Be seeing you,
--
Jorge Godoy      <godoy at ieee.org>