Getting tired with py2exe

Giovanni Bajo noway at sorry.com
Tue Sep 20 20:00:54 EDT 2005

Bugs wrote:

> Whereas py2exe can create an executable that NEVER writes any files
> out to the filesystem, they are loaded instead directly from the
> executable?
> If so then that's a major difference and IMHO the py2exe method is
> superior.

To do this, py2exe uses a manually rewritten version of LoadLibrary (the win32
api call in charge of loading DLLs). Since nobody has access to the original
source code of LoadLibrary (across all Windows version), the rewritten version
is by definition incomplete and less stable; it might also be not forward
compatible (that is, your shipped application may break on Windows Vista, or if
you package applications compiled with newer Visual Studio versions).

So it's a trade-off problem. I'm not a fan of writing temporary files to disk,
but surely I prefer this to a potential compatibility headache; an executable
built by PyInstaller will dump some stuff into your temp directory, but it
won't run into compatibility problem when run on that computer or with that
DLL. Anyway, I'm not against adding things to PyInstaller in principle: if
there is enough request for such a feature, we might as well add it.
--
Giovanni Bajo