Django Vs Rails

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Sep 14 12:36:28 EDT 2005

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
>   - rails/subway reflect over a existing table. They create OR-mappings
> based on that. You only specify exceptional attributes for these mappings.
>
>   - django specifies the whole meta-model in python - and _generates_
> the SQL/DDL to populate the DB. So obviously you have to be more verbose
> - otherwiese you won't have the fields you need.

Subway is built on SQLObject, and SQLObject can both create tables and
read schemas from an existing database.  I don't know what style is
preferred at the moment in Subway, but personally I always create my
tables with SQLObject because I always end up enumerating all the
features of the tables eventually anyway.