How to upgrade to 2.4.1 on Mac OS X tiger

Mike P. no.spam at for.me.thanks.com
Sun Sep 11 08:28:52 EDT 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:55:03 -0700, Trent Mick wrote:

> [Mike Meyer wrote]
>> stri ker <striker at trip.net> writes:
>>> Has anyone here upgraded from 2.3 to 2.4 on Tiger?
>>> If so how'd ya do it?
>>
>> You don't. You install 2.4 in parallel with 2.3. You can do pretty
>> much whatever you want with /usr/bin/python, /usr/local/bin/python,
>> etc. - Tiger doesn't seem to use those. I don't remember if I replaced
>> one or not, but don't touch anything else about the 2.3 installtion.
>>
>> I installed the darwinports version of 2.4, and have been using it
>> ever since for all my stuff.
>
> There are also the following install options:
>
> - ActivePython:
>   http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/
>   (disclaimer: I make this distro)
>
> - MacPython:
>   http://undefined.org/python/#python
>   by Bob Ippolito
>
> - fink (similar in spirit to the darwinports project) also has a Python
>   I believe
>

> Trent

I just got a Mac and was wondering the same thing as the original poster -
how to move to 2.4, but I found out there was more than one version.
So in addition to the Apple installation of 2.3, there are 4 versions of
Python 2.4 (ActivePython, MacPython, fink, darwinports).

Which one should I go for? What are other people using (i.e. which is the
most popular version)? Any particular advantages/disadvantages for each
version?

Cheers.

Mike