Job Offer in Paris, France : R&D Engineer (Plone)

Paul Rubin http
Wed Sep 7 07:08:33 EDT 2005

"Adriaan Renting" <renting at astron.nl> writes:
> Not to discourage you, working abroad can realy be a nice thing to
> do, but expect a lot of paperwork, and a lot of contradicting
> answers. The basic thing is, that most european goventments aren't
> set up to deal with expats, most immigrants are economic and
> political refugees from the developing world, and Europe is trying
> to make it as hard as possible for them to get in.

Yes, I understand this, it's similar in the US.  That's why I had doubts
about it.  I did just chat with Huron about it and he thinks the problem
may be solvable, though certainly inconvenient at the least.

> And about the French language: Try to find some french radio
> broadcast on the internet or something like that, and see if you can
> understand it. I find reading/writing/speaking French is o.k., but
> understanding native speakers can be very hard. I have a lot easier
> time understanding for example italians speaking French.

I think the best way to deal with this is to listen to live speakers
for several hours a day.  After a few weeks, the words come into focus
from the formerly continuous blur of sound.  After that, one must of
course still work on figuring out what they mean ;-).

As I mentioned, I once had a good French class in school, and at that
time I could understand spoken French fairly well.  That was a long
time ago but I think it would come back.  I never learned any French
computer jargon back then and don't know any now, but I expect I could
pick it up.