IDE, widget library

asmlinkage asmlinkage at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 20:41:47 EDT 2005

Jorge Godoy wrote:

> Too bad that Eclipse is such a mammoth with regards to system resources...  I
> also like it, but I feel Emacs is much lighter and gives me the same things I
> have with Eclipse...

I know what you mean ! I am an avid emacs user but when I am writing an
enterprise application in python I would like to have the features
[http://pydev.sourceforge.net/features.html] that Pydev provides to
make my life a little easier. Before I adopted Eclipse and Pydev I was
throwing out a lot of elisp macros for functions that Pydev routinely
provides.

> But Eclipse is really interesting.  Specially if you use its structure while
> developing the application (but then, you fall out of Python -- I dunno how
> compatible with it Jython is).

Pydev has enabled support for Jython in it's latest release and it
looks pretty good. One other interesting feature that I use is ant
extensions for python [http://www.rpstechnologies.net/PyAntTasks.html].
These are pretty nifty when it comes to application deployment and unit
testing.