IDE, widget library

Adriaan Renting renting at astron.nl
Fri Sep 16 03:31:45 EDT 2005

I find developing in Eric3 + QtDesigner to be very quick and easy. It does everything you want and much more,
only it uses Qt3. The new Qt4 has an official GPL version for Windows, and there are GPL ports versions of Qt3 as pointed out by other posters.
I am realy impressed by the elegance of Qt, and because it's all OO C++ PyQt mixes easily with Python.
I think your dismissal of Qt is to quick, I suggest you at least take it into consideration.
eric3 is a nice IDE for any kind of Python dev, but it realy shines when using it to develop Qt apps.
If Qt realy isn't an option I would go with wxWidgets/windows. But basically from my POV all the toolkits are available as GPL, so if you need it for free, the licencing for all is basically the same.

>>>Thomas Jollans <nospam at jollans.com> 09/15/05 9:39 pm >>>
I guess questions like this come all the time here ... well:

I a looking for a python IDE for gnu/linux that :
- has decent sytax highlighting (based on scintilla would be neat)
- has basic name completition, at least for system-wide modules
- has an integrated debugger
- is open source, or at least free of charge

an integrated GUI designer would of course be cool, but cannot be
counted as a requirement.

With that I come to the second question:
What cross-platform GUI libraries are there ? cross-platform meaning
functional and free on (at least) X11 and Win32
PyQT obviously doesn't count because qt3 is not free on windows.
Tk is ugly. (how well) is Tile supported with python ?
does PyGTK/Glade work on win32 ?