Release of Shed Skin 0.0.2: Easy Windows/OSX Installation

Michael Sparks ms at cerenity.org
Tue Sep 20 15:03:43 EDT 2005

Mark Dufour wrote:
> Shed Skin is an experimental Python-to-C++ compiler. Along with
> GNU/Linux, version 0.0.2 should now also install easily under Windows
> 2000/XP and OSX. Please give it a try and let me know if there are
> still some problems.

ss.py writes a make file, but unfortunately doesn't detect correctly whether
you need libdl linked in or not. As a result the generated Makefile for the
test includes this for me:

MAINOBJ=test.o
test:   $(MAINOBJ) /home/zathras/Documents/shedskin-0.0.2/libss.a
        $(CC) $(CCFLAGS)
$(MAINOBJ) /home/zathras/Documents/shedskin-0.0.2/libss.a -lgc -o test

Whereas it would need to be the following because I'm under linux:

MAINOBJ=test.o
test:   $(MAINOBJ) /home/michaels/Documents/shedskin-0.0.2/libss.a
        $(CC) $(CCFLAGS)
$(MAINOBJ) /home/michaels/Documents/shedskin-0.0.2/libss.a -lgc -ldl -o
test

(The reason I'm not suggesting just throwing in -ldl is because that will
then break on other platforms... You need to detect whether it's needed or
not for the platform it's currently compiling for)

Regards,

Michael.