Python Search Engine app

Alan Meyer ameyer2 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 15:52:31 EDT 2005

"Alan Meyer" <ameyer2 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:BJmdnYaoCckhzrXeRVn-1Q at comcast.com...
> I stand ready to be corrected, but I think Python would not be a
> good language for writing search engines.  In the ones I've written
> for custom projects - in C or PL/1, it has been necessary to
> perform very high speed operations on highly compressed binary
> structures - which is not Python's forte.
>
> You might be able to put a Python interface over an engine written
> in another language.

It looks like the engines cited by the other responders to the query
are indeed mostly Python wrappings for C++ engines.

One that might not be, "lupy", notes under performance in the FAQ
the simple statement that "Java is faster".

As between Java and C++, I like Java much more as a programmer
friendly programming language, but I think I'd still choose C++ for
a search engine if the number of users or the size of the data was
large.

    Alan