Python Search Engine app

Alan Meyer ameyer2 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 12:52:12 EDT 2005

"Harlin Seritt" <harlinseritt at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1126708775.608076.106850 at g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone aware of an available open-source/free search engine app
> (something similar to HTDig) written in Python that is out there?
> Googling has turned up nothing. Thought maybe I'd mine some of you
> guys' minds on this.
>
> thanks,
>
> Harlin Seritt
> Internet Villa: www.seritt.org

I'm not aware of such a thing.

I stand ready to be corrected, but I think Python would not be a
good language for writing search engines.  In the ones I've written
for custom projects - in C or PL/1, it has been necessary to
perform very high speed operations on highly compressed binary
structures - which is not Python's forte.

You might be able to put a Python interface over an engine written
in another language.

    Alan