Oblique Strategies

robin escalation746 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 12:33:37 EDT 2005

Tom Anderson <twic at urchin.earth.li> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, robin wrote:
>
>> The Oblique Strategies were originally a set of one-hundred cards, each
>> bearing a short phrase. They were devised by Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt
>> as ways of working through creative problems. When a blockage occurs,
>> draw a card, and see if it can direct you in a tangential way that helps
>> solve the problem.
>
>Neat!
>
>I can't help but feel that putting the strategies in a file and using
>'fortune' to pick them would have been slightly simpler, but since i don't
>actually seem to have fortune on my machine, i'm actually rather happy
>that you've done this.

The best things about this approach are that code and data are in one
file and you don't need to be on a machine with fortune. (My machines
seem to mostly have misfortune, aka Windows.)

I'm happy how Python reduces most small problems down to the most
trivial of exercises. This is less a program than a list of text
strings.

-----
robin
noisetheatre.blogspot.com