C#3.0 and lambdas

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Sep 23 07:55:52 EDT 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:46:54 +0530,
	Ganesan Rajagopal <rganesan at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> I agree. I am a lurker in this list and the python-devel list and I've also
> noticed that increasingly big discussions happen over fairly minor
> things. Python's DB API is still stuck at 2.0 and we can't even agree on a
> single parameter style while C# is innovating and moving ahead with the "big
> picture" stuff.

The group of committers is a diverse group of people, and not every one of
them uses a relational database; that effort would be better done on the
DB-SIG mailing list, because the people there presumably do all use an
RDBMS.  (Now, if you wanted to include SQLite in core Python, that *would*
be a python-dev topic, and ISTR it's been brought up in the past.)

This is also something the PSF might fund.  The next time the PSF calls for
grant proposals, someone could request funding to edit a new revision of the
DB-API.

> I'd like to see the DB API move forward, and experimental new innovations
> like static typing (with automatic type inferencing), stackless python
> etc. If the experiments don't survive, fine. It's still better than
> quibbling over minor syntactic detail.

Agreed; python-dev has gotten pretty boring with all the endless discussions
over some minor point.  Of course, it's much easier and lower-effort to
propose a syntax or nitpick a small point issue than to tackle a big
complicated issue like static typing.

Similar things happen on the catalog SIG: people suggest, or even implement,
an automatic package management system, But bring up the question of whether
it should be called PyPI or Cheeseshop or the Catalog, and *everyone* can make
a suggestion.

--amk