C#3.0 and lambdas

Ganesan Rajagopal rganesan at myrealbox.com
Fri Sep 23 06:16:54 EDT 2005

> Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:
>>> And I think the discussion that followed proved your point perfectly
>>> Fredrik. Big discussion over fairly minor things, but no "big picture".
>>> Where are the initiatives on the "big stuff" (common documentation
>>> format, improved build system, improved web modules, reworking the
>>> standard library to mention a few)  Hey, even Ruby is passing us here.
>>
>> This is Open Source. If you want an initiative, start one.

> you know, this "you have opinions? fuck off!" attitude isn't really
> helping.

I agree. I am a lurker in this list and the python-devel list and I've also
noticed that increasingly big discussions happen over fairly minor
things. Python's DB API is still stuck at 2.0 and we can't even agree on a
single parameter style while C# is innovating and moving ahead with the "big
picture" stuff.

I mean who really cares what's the exact syntax for the ternary
operator. Python's white space significance was a shock when I first learnt
python. I have learnt to live with it because there are a lot other things
to like about the language. I'll live with whatever final decision on the
ternary syntax or whether "and" and "or" should a boolean or the last
expression.

I'd like to see the DB API move forward, and experimental new innovations
like static typing (with automatic type inferencing), stackless python
etc. If the experiments don't survive, fine. It's still better than
quibbling over minor syntactic detail.

Ganesan

--
Ganesan Rajagopal (rganesan at debian.org) | GPG Key: 1024D/5D8C12EA