PyGTK or wXPython?

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at o2.usun.pl
Wed Sep 14 14:36:41 EDT 2005

Paul McNett napisał(a):

>> I would use wx, if it wasn't so dog slow on linux. Qt and GTK are much
>> faster, but each one has disadvantages. Finally, you get 3 GUI toolkits,
>> of which each claims to be "cross-platform", but each is working at
>> acceptable level of WTF only on one system (wx on Windows, Qt and GTK on
>> linux) and the most appealing (Qt) has no free version for Windows.
>
> I must say, I haven't found wx to be slow on Linux at all. Slow on Mac,
> yes, but faster on Linux than on Windows (and getting much much better
> on Mac). The exception to this is the StyledTextControl, which is by far
> much faster on Windows, and with lots of styled text dog-slow on Linux.
>
> Wx does use the native underlying toolkit for the platform (Qt is
> owner-drawn), which can cause some platform inconsistencies.

GTK is "native" on Gnome or Xfce desktops, so programs written with
PyGTK/wxPython may have shorten startup times than comparable PyQt
applications. On KDE the Qt toolkit is "native", so GTK and wx
applications would be much slower, as there will be need to load the
whole GUI toolkit library at your program startup.

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/