OpenSource documentation problems

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Sep 9 18:16:36 EDT 2005

Florian Diesch <diesch at spamfence.net> writes:
> A.M. Kuchling <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
> Another problem with Wikis is that you have to be online to use them and
> can't use your favourite editor to write.

You need a better browser. Mine - at least on Unix - have an option to
dump textareas into text files, invoke my favorite editor on them, and
then read the file back in when the editor exits. Assuming i'm not
running the browser in that editor in the first place.

If you're using a mozilla derivate, there are a couple of extensions
to give you this functionality. MozEx appears to be DOA, but may work
for you anyway. viewsourcewith works in a recent version of FireFox,
though. TextAreaTools looks promising, but it's more an editor in and
of itself than a way to ship text out to your favorite editor.

> At least for me email is the best medium to report bugs.

Which leaves me using the same editor as my browser does...

      <mike