What XML lib to use?

Giovanni Bajo noway at sorry.com
Mon Sep 19 05:37:09 EDT 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Edvard Majakari wrote:
>
>> Using a SAX / full-compliant DOM parser could be good for learning
>> things, though. As I said, depends a lot.
>
> since there are no *sane* reasons to use SAX or DOM in Python, that's
> mainly a job security issue...

One sane reason is that ElementTree is not part of the standard library. There
are cases where you write a simple python script of 400 lines and you want it
to stay single-file. While ElementTree is very easy to distribute (for basic
features it's just a single file), it still won't fit some scenarios.

So, why did it not make it to the standard library yet, given that it's so much
better than the alternatives?
--
Giovanni Bajo