PyGTK or wXPython?

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 11:34:42 EDT 2005

On 9/13/05, Rod W <rodwellm at removeme.gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just starting out on Python but my primary goal is to provide
> applications with some user interface (GUI).
>
> Can someone point me to a good comparison of whether I should use
> wxPython (with wxGlade I assume) or PyGTK (with Glade I assume)?
>
> I'd prefer open source (not necessarily GPL though) tools.

I looked at both, and preferred wxPython's look. I hated its C-like
feeling, with some very un-Pythonic code that failed to hide its C
roots very well, but I used it because the results were so good.

Since then I've discovered Dabo, which is a complete application
framework, and which wraps wxPython for its UI. Apparently, the
authors of Dabo also didn't like the style of wxPython code, and have
created their own classes that expose a cleaner, much more Pythonic
API. I've been using Dabo for some small GUI apps, and I still can't
believe how much easier it is to create the UI with Dabo than with
plain wxPython. You should definitely check it out if you decide to go
the wxPython route.

--

# p.d.