cElementTree clear semantics

Reinhold Birkenfeld reinhold-birkenfeld-nospam at wolke7.net
Sun Sep 25 16:27:48 EDT 2005

Paul Boddie wrote:
> Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:
>> D H wrote:
>> > I would recommend emailing the author of a library when you have a
>> > question about that library.  You should know that yourself as well.
>>
>> Well, if I had e.g. a question about Boo, I would of course first ask
>> here because I know the expert writes here.
>
> Regardless of anyone's alleged connection with Boo or newsgroup
> participation level

Which was sort of an ironic <wink> from my side. I did not expect "D H"
to go overboard on this.

> the advice to contact the package author/maintainer is sound.

Correct. But if the post is already in the newsgroup and the author is known
to write there extensively, it sounds ridiculous to say "contact the author".

> It happens every now and again that people
> post questions to comp.lang.python about fairly specific issues or
> packages that would be best sent to mailing lists or other resources
> devoted to such topics. It's far better to get a high quality opinion
> from a small group of people than a lower quality opinion from a larger
> group or a delayed response from the maintainer because he/she doesn't
> happen to be spending time sifting through flame wars amidst large
> volumes of relatively uninteresting/irrelevant messages.

Hey, the flame war stopped before it got interesting ;)

Reinhold