Python linear algebra module -- requesting comments on interface

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Fri Sep 9 22:07:48 EDT 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 04:58:43 -0700 (PDT), "C. Barnes" <connellybarnes at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi, I'm in the process of writing a Python linear
>algebra module.
>
>The current targeted interface is:
>
>  http://oregonstate.edu/~barnesc/temp/linalg/
>
>The interface was originally based on Raymond
>Hettinger's
>Matfunc [1].  However, it has evolved so that now it
>is
>nearly identical to JAMA [2], the Java matrix library.
>
>I am soliticing comments on this interface.
>
>Please post up any criticism that you have.  Even
>small
>things -- if something isn't right, it's better to fix
>it now than later.

Wondering whether you will be supporting OpenGL-style matrices and
operations for graphics. UIAM they permit optimizations in both
storage and operations due to the known zero and one element values
that would appear in full matrix representations of the same.

http://www.rush3d.com/reference/opengl-redbook-1.1/appendixg.html

Also wondering about some helper function to measure sensitivity of
.solve results when getting near-singular, but maybe that's an
out-side-of-the package job.

>From a quick look, it looks quite nice ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter