py2exe 0.6.1 released

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Sep 6 15:46:30 EDT 2005

"cmkl" <cmkleffner at gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I didnt succeed to bundle vpython-3.2.3 with py2exe-0.6.1 - regardless
> if its build as single file or not:
>
> "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
> unusual way"  and so on...
>
> This error message seems not generated by py2exe. At least I could not
> find a reference to it in the sources of py2exe.

Often this is caused by py2exe not including some needed pyds, together
with 'sloppy' programming in the extensions themselves.

Let me explain: Sometimes, extensions depend on other extensions.  Since
they cannot directly import functions from each other, Python has an API
for that: PyCObject_Import(module_name, cobject_name).  This returns an
opaque pointer, which often points to a table of functions.  Or NULL, in
case there's an error.

Normally, this import will never fail (because all the extensions are
available), so often the return value is *not* checked.  Calling one of
these functions when the import has failed will then crash the
application.

In other cases the extension programmers see no other way to report the
error except calling PyFatal_Error() when the import failed, which would
then give what you see.

For py2exe, it may help to use include more modules or the whole package
in question and try to build again.

Of course, it can also be that py2exe 0.6 has a bug that 0.5.4 did not
have, can you try that version?

Thomas