Python Search Engine app

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Sep 14 22:34:07 EDT 2005

Will McGugan wrote:
> Alan Meyer wrote:
>> I stand ready to be corrected, but I think Python would not be a
>> good language for writing search engines.

> Wasn't Google's first search engine actualy written in Python?

Not unless it was some kind of quickie prototype that was immediately
discarded in favour of an optimized C version once it was built.  The
rumour you're probably referring to is the *web spider* part of the
system, while the indexing/searching stuff is written in C or
something close (memory fails me on that point, but I'm sure Google
itself could easily tell you more).

There's an interesting paper about the early architecture/history of
Google which was a published by the authors (when they were still
in figurative diapers) and which was referenced recently in this
newsgroup.  The archives would quickly pull it up for you.

-Peter