duplicate entries

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Sep 29 08:37:50 EDT 2005

jackie chang wrote:
> Dear Python Gurus:
>

> I am a very new Python user, would really appreciate your help.
>

> I used Python to write a web form for users to enter. The underlined
> database is Oracle. One validation needs to enforce to eliminate
> duplicates entries. For example: one customer ID can only be entered
> only one time from the website, if a duplicate customer ID is attempted
> to enter, a message should pop back to inform the user about the invalid
> entry. I am enforcing primary key in the underlined Oracle table
>

> How can I code in python make this happen and get the message posted?
>

> Your assistance is highly appreciated.

There are many web frameworks and tools for interacting with databases
on the web. Try a look through the just over eight million hits in

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=python+web+database

(hint: the first two or three pages will be the best. Look for books by
people whose names seem familiar :-).

Some of those links will contain real examples of code and give you a
useful idea of how some things can be done. Others will doubtless post
more specific advice, so I am trying to provide a little background in
case it should be needed.

More specific (Google) searches will also give insights into different
aspects of this problem.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
PyCon TX 2006                          www.pycon.org