Alternatives to Stackless Python?

simonwittber at gmail.com simonwittber at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 21:09:44 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
> While I can't speak for the OP, isn't it the case that the threadlets in
> Stackless (sorry, don't know what they are really called) are true
> threads in the sense of being able to switch contexts no matter how far
> down in a set of nested calls they might be?  And that NanoThreads are
> simply generators, which means you can switch contexts only at the top
> level, with a yield statement?
>
> I don't know what the OP wants, but I could imagine that would be a
> pretty fundamental difference (if I'm right about Stackless).

Yes, NanoThreads are very different to Stackless. I was curious to see
what the OP's requirements were, to determine if the requirement could
possibly be implemented using NanoThreads. A NanoThread is not required
to be a generator, it only has to look and work like a generator, which
opens up the possibility of implementing a custom NanoThread using a
normal Python class.

Sw.