Sockets: code works locally but fails over LAN

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Sat Sep 3 16:20:31 EDT 2005

n00m wrote:
 > Your last version works like a champ. It easily handles up
 > to 5 instances of my.vbs! Except of this thing:
 >
 >>AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'SHUT_WR'
 >
 > Seems it's a pure Unix constant.

No, my guess is that you're running an old version of Python.
The constant was added in the source on 27 Nov 2003; I'm not
sure what version that would first appear in. You can fix it
either by upgrading your Python distribution (a good idea
anyway), or replacing:

     sock.shutdown(socket.SHUT_WR)

with:

     sock.shutdown(1)

 >>>But it does NOT work without IDLE!
 >>
 >>Odd. What happens if you run it from a command line?
 >
 > In a moment - AFTER I start my.vbs - in console window new prompt
 > "D:\>" appears... and vbs reports "General Network Error".

Hmmm... not much to go on there. I tested it on Win-XP, running
it from a command line. I set the server to ('www.googl.com',
80), and I was able to web-search through it.

Are you running XP's local firewall?

--
--Bryan