Help installing Python 2.3 on Win2K

D.S. Hein d.s.hein at webstudios.net
Fri Sep 23 18:56:54 EDT 2005

I have installed python 2.3 on my Windows 2K laptop and I can run python
from the command prompt.

I have tried various ways to set PYTHONPATH with the various directories
where I have python programs (i.e. xxxxxx.py) but no matter how I set
PYTHONPATH I keep getting a message that python can't open the python
file. If I try to specify the full pathname by typing: python
c:\Documents and Settings\-rest of path- I get an error message that
python can't open c:\Documents.

The ways I have set PYTHONPATH are by directly changing the registry
entry for Python 2.3, by setting the environment variable by
right-clicking on My Computer and by adding set PYTHONPATH=-various
pathnames-.

I'd be grateful for any guidance on how to organize my system.