OpenSource documentation problems

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Sep 1 22:15:15 EDT 2005

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
> "Rocco Moretti" <roccomoretti at hotpop.com> wrote in message
> news:df73m2$btd$1 at news.doit.wisc.edu...
>> There is just one giant roadblock to that suggestion - Sourceforge
>> requires a login to post bugs/patches.
>
> After reading this and the rest of your post, and remembering others like
> it, I decided this maybe is a real point.  Remembering that the site
> invited emailed doc comments, I rechecked the About this Document page
> referenced at the bottom of each doc page and found the following:
>
> "General comments and questions regarding this document should be sent by
> email to docs at python.org. If you find specific errors in this document,
> either in the content or the presentation, please report the bug at the
> Python Bug Tracker at SourceForge."
>
> So I emailed a general suggestion (with specific wording ;-) that error
> reports also be allowed via email -- and quoted your post to explain why.

How about extending that, and bundle a tool with python that helps a
user send a properly-formatted bug report, with prompts for all the
relevant information? This combines the nice feature of the web form -
that you get some control over the format of the report - with ease of
use.

FreeBSD, for instance, comes with the "send-pr" command, which fires
up $VISUAL on a bug report template that it's already partially filled
out from the environment. See <URL: http://tinyurl.com/7anxz > for the
man page.

That's probably not appropriate for Python. But the idea still seems
like something worthwhile to add.

     <mike