OpenSource documentation problems

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Sep 1 18:54:09 EDT 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:09:27 +0200,
	Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> the useredit approach I'm using over at the librarybook site works
> pretty well.  for example, if you go to

That looks pleasantly simple.

I don't consider the pydoc.amk.ca experiment to have been really successful.
It was a half-hour hack that's usable with some pain, but the JavaScript and
frame display needs quite a bit of polishing to be usable by a random
newbie.

There's a Firefox extension (http://www.wikalong.org/) that allows wiki
annotation, but a browser-specific annotation tool doesn't solve the general
problem.

I suspect the best solution is something Python-doc-specific that runs the
generated HTML for the docs through a preprocessor that inserts comments and
an editing form.  It would be a great topic for a user group sprint or
weekend project.

(If someone volunteers to do this: if you decide to use an RDBMS, please use
PostgreSQL, because it's already installed on one of the python.org
servers.)

--amk