Create and display an email

Gregory Piñero gregpinero at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 01:39:30 EDT 2005

I looked into this same question many months ago and got stuck just where
you are. Indeed the webbrowser.open('mailto:...') command seems like a great
idea, but I lost 6 hours of my life trying to figure out how to do
attachments :-(
Here's my guess at what your two best options are:

1. Work with outlook through it's COM interface to send an email.
2. Build email sending right into your application. It's not hard to do, and
your app could allow the user to save the email to send later if they're not
online. Here's a simple email sending script I put together a while back.
http://www.blendedtechnologies.com/how-to-send-emails-with-python/19
It might be a good starting point.

-Greg

On 13 Sep 2005 16:30:59 -0700, Adam Endicott <leftwing17 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got a wxPython based windows GUI application that takes some input
> and creates a PDF file output. At the end, I need to create an email
> message with this pdf file attached ready for the user to just hit
> "send". I don't want to actually send the email automatically, I just
> want to pop up a message in the default mail program that's ready to go
> (partially because the person might not be online when the email is
> created, this way they could just put it in their Outlook outbox).
>
> I can't figure out how to do this. I've tried using
> webbrowser.open('mailto:...'), which works, except that I can't add an
> attachment that way (at least I haven't been successful). And I don't
> know any other way to open up a message in the default mail program.
>
> There has to be something obvious that I'm missing here. Any
> suggestions?
>
> --

Gregory Piñero
Chief Innovation Officer