Microsoft Hatred FAQ

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Fri Oct 28 16:01:50 EDT 2005

"Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen" <lasse at vkarlsen.no> wrote in message
news:djsmvh$jk$1 at sadr.dfn.de...

> Ok, let me just make my opinion very clear on this and then I'll just
> leave this thread altogether.
>
> I think you are comparing apples and oranges so whatever conclusion you
> manage to draw from that is in my eyes invalid. It doesn't matter, in my
> opinion, if you managed to conclude that Microsoft was the saints
> themselves because, in my opinion, your reasoning is not valid. I'm not
> saying one way or the other, I'm just picking at your reasoning.
>
> To me it sounds like concluding that the prices of RAM will drop because
> the swallows are flying high this fall.
>
> But enough, I'll just leave it.

    There is no value whatsoever in simply saying "I don't agree with you"
and including no argument or reasoning. Were you afraid someone might
erroneously think you did agree with me and that this would harm your
reputation? If you want to participate in discussion, you have to make
claims and defend them.

    MS imposed a restriction that was logically lesser than saying "if you
want to buy Windows wholesale, you cannot sell products that compete with
PCs with Windows pre-loaded on them". (Logically lesser because they allowed
you sell them but charged a fee. You could avoid the fee by simply not
selling them.) This is a perfectly ordinary type of franchise sales
arrangement engaged in by companies of all kinds. For someone who does not
already have a monopoly, it is even perfectly legal.

    DS