Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 16 05:27:00 EDT 2005

John Bokma wrote:
> joe at invalid.address wrote:
>

>>John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> writes:

>>>And it's even easier to understand that your statement is nonsense.
>>>
>>>It doesn't matter which Linux distribution you pick, all use the
>>>Linux kernel. On all I can run OpenOffice, and get the same results.
>>>Yet people seem to prefer one distribution over one other.
>>
>>He was talking about the browser war, and gave a pretty good reason
>>why it was important. So you respond by pointing out that people
>>choose a linux distribution for personal (non-technical,
>>non-marketing) reasons. I think I missed the connection.
>

> web based applications that work with any browser make OS irrelevant ->
> not true, since for OpenOffice it doesn't matter which Linux
> distribution one runs (or even if it's Linux), yet people seem to make a
> point of which distribution they use.

You make the point yourself now: if web based applications work with any
browser, people can freely choose their distribution based on their own
preferences.

- An application works in IE, Firefox, Konqueror, Safari, Lynx, Links,
Opera, ... -> users can use it with any browser on any OS
- An application only works in IE -> users are forced to use Windows (or
one of the other few OS's that IE exists on)

Roel Schroeven