Microsoft Hatred FAQ

joe at invalid.address joe at invalid.address
Sat Oct 15 20:37:31 EDT 2005

John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> writes:

> joe at invalid.address wrote:
>
> > John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> writes:

> >> And it's even easier to understand that your statement is
> >> nonsense.
> >>
> >> It doesn't matter which Linux distribution you pick, all use the
> >> Linux kernel. On all I can run OpenOffice, and get the same
> >> results.  Yet people seem to prefer one distribution over one
> >> other.
> >
> > He was talking about the browser war, and gave a pretty good
> > reason why it was important. So you respond by pointing out that
> > people choose a linux distribution for personal (non-technical,
> > non-marketing) reasons. I think I missed the connection.
>
> web based applications that work with any browser make OS irrelevant
> -> not true, since for OpenOffice it doesn't matter which Linux
> distribution one runs (or even if it's Linux), yet people seem to
> make a point of which distribution they use.

A linux distribution isn't an OS, it's a distribution, so I'm not sure
what your point here is.

In fact, there are lots of Microsoft-centric web pages that don't
work well when accessed from a linux system. ActiveX, MS Java, etc.

> >> Maybe *they* do have a point :-).
> >
> > Which is?
>
> That it *does* matter. It doesn't matter which brand makes your
> graphics card, since most stick close to the reference design of the
> GPU chip supplier, yet people take the brand in consideration when
> they buy.

I don't think that's true, at least not yet. I recently bought a
Compaq Presario, which came with XP installed. I wiped the disk and
installed Linux, only to find that the hardware would only work under
XP. So I then had to install network, video, sound etc cards to get it
working.

joe
--
Gort, klatu barada nikto