cgi relay for python cgi script

Amir Michail amichail at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 08:47:58 EDT 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Amir Michail wrote:
>
> > Is there an easy way to do this without modifying the configuration of
> > the cgi server and without running a cgi server on the other machine
> > where the script will actually run?
> >
> > Perhaps someone wrote a simple server that provides the required
> > environment for the cgi script to run?
> >
> > I'm looking for something simple that does not require root access.
>
> you could of course use something like
>
>     http://docs.python.org/lib/module-CGIHTTPServer.html
>
> or some other light-weight web server, but you should probably have in mind
> that doing things like this without coordinating with your server administrators
> and security architects *before* you start tinkering can be a excellent way to
> get fired...
>
> </F>

I would like to do this to improve performance by avoiding nfs. (The
required data is not on the cgi server.)

The advice I got was to use something like MySQL with a client/server
architecture.

However, I thought it would be easier to simply run the core part of
the script off the cgi server, thereby avoiding nfs for data lookups.

So I guess the point is that such a solution is more likely to be a
security risk than MySQL?

Amir