Microsoft Hatred FAQ

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Mon Oct 17 22:44:55 EDT 2005

"Roedy Green" <my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid> wrote in
message news:adh8l1thpq22n9ub1ic2suhkjn81m0ik6i at 4ax.com...

> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:36:53 -0700, "David Schwartz"
> <davids at webmaster.com> wrote or quoted :

>>    As for it being illegal, it was illegal only because if was Microsoft
>>doing it. There's nothing illegal about a car dealer not selling a car
>>without an engine.

> But that is not what was happening. It was not Microsoft selling
> computers with MS OSs. MS was arm-twisting  retailers like me to
> bundle a copy of Windows with every sale whether the customer wanted
> it or not.  I think some imagine a computer is worthless without
> Windows.

    It is Microsoft's view that a computer is worthless without Windows.
They are fully entitled to have that view.

> That gave their OS a grossly unfair price advantage.

    It is not Microsoft's obligation to be "fair". It is Microsoft's
obligation to push their vision of the future of computing, one with
Microsoft's products at the center, using anything short of force or fraud.

    DS