Batteries Included?

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination
Tue Oct 11 02:44:11 EDT 2005

Alex enlightened us with:
> Python's moto is "Batteries Included", but where are the batteries
> for making exe files and making an installer file?

Those aren't "batteries". Those are things you can do with the
program, but are outside the programming language. Writing and
distributing software is one thing. Converting them to a
platform-specific executable is another.

> I had to download, install and use py2exe and Inno Setup in order to
> accomplish this.

Well done.

> I might be wrong expecting that a language whose moto is "Batteries
> Included" would be able to produce exe files.

Indeed, you're wrong. Why would such an ability be included in Python?
It's a cross platform language. What need would Mac, Linux, BSD,
Solaris etc. users have for such a feature? And why would it have to
be included, when there is an easy solution just around the corner?
You prooved that it was easy enough to install and use by someone who
just learned Python. I really don't see the problem here.

> Are there plans to do this in the future version of Python?

I doubt it.

Sybren
                                             Frank Zappa