When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Oct 6 23:01:02 EDT 2005

On 2005-10-07, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:

>>> Not just you. It always amuses me in trips to the US that
>>> British voices (outside of the movies) are often subtitled,
>>> while first-generation Americans whose English is. um,
>>> limited, are not.
>>
>> What?!?  I've never seen a British voice (inside or outside of
>> the movies) subtitled -- with the exception of one of a
>> nightclub scenes in one movie (I think it was Trainspotting)
>> where the dialog was inaudible because of the music.
>
> Maybe they were dubbed?

I don't think so.  Where exactly did you see all these
sub-titled British TV/movies?

In all the British movies and TV shows I've seen in the US, the
British actors sound the same as the do on British TV. I don't
recall ever going to a theater in England, but I've seen plenty
of TV in England.  To me the dialog sounds the same as it does
in the US.

> I know America International dubbed the first version of "Mad
> Max" that they imported into the US. Then again, American
> International is well-know for their quality.

That could be.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  LIFE is a
                                  at               never-ending INFORMERCIAL!