When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Fri Oct 7 16:28:24 EDT 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 03:01 am, Steve Holden wrote:
> OK, so how do you account for the execresence "That will give you a
> savings of 20%", which usage is common in America?

In America, anyway, "savings" is a collective abstract noun
(like "physics" or "mechanics"), there's no such
noun as "saving" (that's present participle of "to save"
only).  How did you expect that sentence to be rendered?
Why is it an "execresence"?

By the way, dict.org doesn't think "execresence" is a word,
although I interpret the neologism as meaning something like
"execrable utterance":

dict.org said:
> No definitions found for 'execresence'!

Cheers,