When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Oct 7 16:44:29 EDT 2005

Terry Hancock wrote:
> On Friday 07 October 2005 03:01 am, Steve Holden wrote:
>
>>OK, so how do you account for the execresence "That will give you a
>>savings of 20%", which usage is common in America?
>

> In America, anyway, "savings" is a collective abstract noun
> (like "physics" or "mechanics"), there's no such
> noun as "saving" (that's present participle of "to save"
> only).  How did you expect that sentence to be rendered?
> Why is it an "execresence"?

Precisely because there *is* such a thing as a saving. If I buy a $100
gumball for $80 I have achieved a saving of 20%.

> By the way, dict.org doesn't think "execresence" is a word,
> although I interpret the neologism as meaning something like
> "execrable utterance":
>
> dict.org said:
>
>>No definitions found for 'execresence'!

Nonetheless, Google finds 369 hits for "execrescence" and 67 for
"execresence".

My Complete Oxford is still packed in a cardboard box, so I can't offer
any more convincing evidence.

If there isn't such a word, all I can say is there *ought* to be :-)

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119